Exhaust system rattles not due to loose fasteners may be caused by broken welds holding the inner tubing in the double walled headers, or to loose baffles in the collector. Loose baffles apparently are one reason for the scarcity of salvageable collectors.
Here are some pics of what's inside the V65 Magna collector and a repair:
- A series of holes in the back panel.
- Air chisel used to cut the rear panel at the series of holes along top and down each side. Then rear panel pealed down
- Baffle inside totally loose and the source of the rattle.
- One small channel brace is welded to the rear panel - slants up and inward.
- The top pipes from the rear head just loop around inside and dump into the open main cavity.
- This view into the left area shows the perforated panel on the bottom and front.
- You can just barely make out the opening of the front head pipes that immediately dump into the main cavity upon entering.
- Went to local Checker Auto Parts supply.
- Brought along the new exhaust gasket sleeves to be sure to get the right size exhaust pipe connection fittings.
- I put the baffle back inside.
- Drilled 3 holes into the baffle to use sheet metal screws and large washers to hold the baffle in position. Still have the rear panel flap open.
- Tack welded the baffle in place inside.
- Removed the screws and welded the baffle in solid.
- Melted (blew holes) thru the rear panel where the channel brace is to be attached.
- Then pushed the rear panel back into place.
- Tack welded it on in a few areas.
- Heated it a bit and tap with hammer to fit into place and tack welded some more.
- Welded the channel brace to the rear panel by plug welding it to the rear panel where the holes had been made.
- Then finish welding the rear panel into position.
- Used hack saw to cut the pipes for the muffler connections, flush with the rings.
- Used a hack saw to cut the new exhaust pipe fittings to the proper length.
- Welded the new exhaust fittings to the collector at the rings.
- First tack weld at 3 places around it.
- Then finish weld all around.
- The rings were just tack welded to the collector.
- For added security, I welded the rings to the collector all around.
Here is the finished collector, ready to install into my 1983 V65 Magna.